Sunday, November 23, 2008

So, that's what it's going to be like...

I've been so bad about blogging lately, which was part of my initial hesitation about even starting a blog...knowing that I probably wouldn't always be able to keep up with it. But it's kinda stupid to have blogger's guilt, right? Like most people don't have enough to worry about in life without worrying about blogging consistently! That's just silly. Last time I ended with a teaser that I would blog about our engaged encounter weekend. But, while there were some comedic moments that happened, somehow now that weekend seems so long ago! We did have a good time, and it was what we expected in some ways, and not what we expected in others. I kept our notebooks from that weekend, because I think it will be fun to look back on later and read what we wrote to each other.

This past weekend was really great. I had friends and family in from out of town, and I had a bridal shower given by Lisa and her mother Connie. Everything was so nice, from the food to the company, to the presents! I have been really spoiled this month. Ted's mom also gave me a nice shower a few weeks ago where I was able to meet many of her friends. Like sending out our invitations, having someone throw you a shower is one of those events that you have participated in throughout the years for other people, and it is strange when it finally happens to you.

My lovely bridal showers have come and gone. And the thing is, when I think about my shower last night, I can't believe how fast it all went by. And that's when I realized that this is what the wedding might be like, and that all those married people just might be right: that your wedding day is over before you know it. I guess there is no way to avoid it, so the only thing to do is make sure to enjoy every second. Does anyone remember that bad 80's sitcom where the girl could make time stand still by touching her two index fingers together? What was that show? I think it was called Out of this World. And her Dad worked in outer space and she communicated with him through some strange radio-like device?? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyway, the point is that making time stand still might be a useful ability to have at the wedding. Too bad it's completely a fictional talent.

Oh, here it is, I found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_This_World_(TV_series)

Remembering obscure 80's tv shows and song lyrics is one of my unique and useless talents.

Today I was able to go with Dave, Lisa, and Sophia to see a stage production of the musical Annie, one of my personal favorites from childhood. I gave Sophia the DVD for her birthday this year, and it has been so fun to see her start singing all the songs. She loved the show, and I think we spent just as much time watching for Sophia's reaction to the show as we did actually looking at the stage. I thought it was so funny that at the end when everyone was applauding for the cast, when the villains like Miss Hannigan, Rooster, and Rooster's trashy girlfriend walked up to take a bow, Sophia immediately stopped clapping and made a face. She was not about to clap for the bad guys.

I really wish I worked for one of those schools that has the whole week off. I know, I shouldn't complain, because so many people only have Thanksgiving Day off. Actually, I really shouldn't complain at all because the good news is that I have a job. Nevertheless, it would be pretty awesome if I had the whole week off. I am making some kind of appetizer or side dish to bring to Thanksgiving, and I don't know what I am bringing. Is it bad that I am more concerned about what kind and how much ribbon I need to get for the favors than what I am bringing to Thanksgiving?

Ted and I are going to get our marriage license on Wednesday. That will be one huge item to check off the list!

No comments: